Integrated Tool Set
Unlike database software which requires additional development tools, FileMaker combines the three primary elements of a data-driven solution (database architecture, business logic, and user interface) into a single, inexpensive product. Specific integrated features include the following.
- Point-and-click application creation: Rather than relying on conventional programing code, FM uses point-and-click functions and a broad palette of formats and icons to link tables, develop functions and create rich Graphical User Interfaces (GUI)
- Integrated Design Environment: An Integrated Design Environment eliminates manual coding tasks and automatically creates scripts and other code elements for programmers. Help screens, examples, and demonstrations are integrated into the product to show how to accomplish tasks
- Simplified design and maintenance by providing graphical tools, help, and utilities in a single interface. Developers do not need to launch (or purchase) additional tools to complete a project, while integrated help provides troubleshooting advice and tips to create applications or test prototypes.
- Multiple External Database Connectors: Access data from multiple sources and platforms, without needing expensive add-on tools or options. FileMaker Pro can connect to industry leading databases from Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, and many others. FileMaker Pro can develop applications that leverage those existing databases or work as an application that can link multiple disparate databases together to create unique cross-platform solutions.
- Simplified Administration: FileMaker Pro includes wizards and concise tools to simplify database maintenance chores, eliminating the manual tasks that are often associated with maintaining large databases, such as Oracle 10g. FileMaker Server provides remote database administration, the ability to schedule live backups, and scripts to automate administrative tasks.
- Integrated Maintenance Tools: Maintain, modify, and manage databases without having to purchase additional tools, products, or add-ons
- Integrated Support for Web-Based Applications: Deploy applications to the web, quickly and simply with bundled tools and web server options. FM “WebDirect” supports an unlimited number of connections. FM also supports PHP web designs.
- Free pre-configured solutions. These pre-defined templates have attractive themes, tables, scripts for typical functions, layouts appropriate for any type of device (Browser, phone, tablet, laptop, etc.)